10.8.12

~ inspiration ~ Edvard Munch

do you know edvard munch ?

The Scream, 1893
certainly you have seen or heard of this infamous piece of painting but some of you might not be aware of who the artist is.

 
the artist is edvard munch.
an norwegian artist who is known to be one of the most influential artist for expressionism movement;
also best known for his composition , the scream.



themes he covered in his paintings were usually quite emotional like life cycle, death, misery, anxiety and love. 



nevertheless, it was these (following) particular works that drawn me to him.

Woman in Three Stages, 1894

Women in Three Stages ;

representing a woman in her three stages of life;
conversely in a chronological order from left to right.

 
Red and White, 1894











The Dance of Life, 1900

the woman in white symbolizes purity, innocence


the woman in red represents  passion, love, happiness

the women in black, gazing jealously represents old age. 
















these particular paintings are significance to me;
in terms of using my imagination and then interpreting and exploited them into the three stages/outfits for my Stranger to Ourselves collection.




(images courtesy from Edvard Munch)
  

1 comment:

  1. wow thats
    I build a kind of wall between myself and t he model so that I can paint in peace behind it. Otherwise, she might say something that confuses and distracts me.
    Edvard Munch

    ReplyDelete